We are one of the youngest universities in Germany and think in terms of possibilities, not limitations. In the heart of the Ruhr Region, we develop ideas of the future in our 11 faculties. We are strong in research and teaching, promote diversity, support potential and are highly committed to an educational equality that has lived up to its name.
In the context of its main research area Transformation of Contemporary Societies: Building Order in a Borderless World, the University of Duisburg-Essen, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, invites applications for one
Research Associate/PhD Candidate
Grade E 13 TV-L (German Public Service Salary Scale, part-time position, 75%)
to participate in the interdisciplinary research project „Big risks“: perceptions, management and neuralgic societal risks in the 21st century funded by the Funk Stiftung. The position is located at the Institute for Business and Economic Studies (IBES), Chair for Energy Trading and Finance, campus Essen.
Coming from different perspectives such as practical philosophy, political sociology and financial mathematics, the research project will investigate how the general public and decision-makers of the 21st century deal with "big risks" such as climate change, demographic change and public debt. Specifically, the main tasks involve mathematic modelling of risks and development of management tools.
Approximately two thirds of the working hours can be dedicated to the preparation of a PhD thesis within the project´s research area. Applicants are also expected to take over project-related and general administrative tasks. These include:
- organization, support and execution of workshops and conferences in the project’s context
- composition of scientific publications
- participation in international conferences
- participation in substantive and methodological further trainings
- collaboration and communication with the respective project team of the participating institutes
- contribution to the preparation of reports
- taking charge of general administrative tasks
- participation in the development of a follow-up project
Working language is English.
Eligible candidates must hold an above-average university degree (Master, Diploma or Magister, at least 8 semesters of fulltime study) with a focus on mathematics or quantitative finance.
The successful candidate must have:
- an interest in applied risk management
- clear and effective communication skills (written and spoken)
- a fluent command of the English language (written and spoken)
- the willingness to prepare a PhD thesis within the project´s research area
- a high willingness and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team (Political Science, Philosophy, Financial Mathematics)
- the willingness to perform research on a high international level
- the willingness to present project results to the scientific community, practitioners and stakeholders
- the ability to work independently
It is also advantageous that applicants demonstrate
- international experience of at least 6 month
- experience in organising and supporting conferences
Vacancy should be filled by: 1 November 2015 or as soon as possible thereafter
Duration: 36 months
Working load: 75% of a full-time position
Application Deadline: 19 October 2015
The University Duisburg-Essen aims at promoting the diversity of its members (see http://www.uni-due.de/diversity).
It aims at increasing the share of female faculty members and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. Women with equal qualifications will, in accordance with state equality legislation, be given priority.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply (see § 2 para. 3 SGB IX).
Applications should include a single page cover letter (German or English), CV (without picture and information about nationality and age), a copy of a marked sample of your scientific writing (e.g. thesis, paper, essay; German or English) and copies of all relevant documents. Please address your application (one single pdf file!) to Professor Dr. Rüdiger Kiesel (
), quoting the reference number 449-15.
For detailed information on the Chair for Energy Trading and Finance please see the following homepages https://www.lef.wiwi.uni-due.de/profil/ and www.uni-due.de